1. Here's how
When new versions of Lumion are released, the location of a number of files (e.g. the Imported Model files in the Imported Model Library) sometimes changes.
If you want to transfer your files and settings from an older version of Lumion to a new version, please follow the instructions below.
2. Imported Models, Recent Projects, Custom (Favorite) Materials, and Groups
2.1: To transfer these files from an older version to a newer version of Lumion, please run the new version of Lumion first. Doing so will create a number of data folders in the Documents folder.
2.2: Then copy the folders as shown below (provided that they exist) and restart Lumion:
- Documents\Lumion (OLD VERSION)\Library
- Documents\Lumion (OLD VERSION)\Recent
- Documents\Lumion (OLD VERSION)\Materials
- Documents\Lumion (NEW VERSION)\Library
- Documents\Lumion (NEW VERSION)\Recent
- Documents\Lumion (NEW VERSION)\Materials
Example: Transferring Imported Models from Lumion 11.5 to Lumion 12
- Quit/close Lumion.
- Using Windows File Explorer, 'Copy' and 'Paste' the \Library folder in Documents\Lumion 11.0 to Documents\Lumion 12.0.
- Or, make a 'Copy' of the Library folder: Documents\Lumion 11.0\Library. And then 'Move' the copied Library folder to Documents\Lumion 12.0\Library.
- Restart Lumion 12.
Note: Materials and Favorites cannot be transferred to Lumion 2023 at the moment. Due to the unprecedented engine changes, this feature will only be added in a later update.
3.1: To open a Project/Scene from an older version of Lumion, please save the Project/Scene to an .LS Project/Scene file:
Lumion 10 and newer: Files -> Save or Save as... to save an .LS Project file:
Lumion 8 - 9: Files -> Save Scene tab
Lumion 7 and older: Files -> Save Scene and Models tab
3.2: Then load the .LS Scene file in the same or a newer version of Lumion.
Please note that:
- If you save a Scene or an Imported Model in Lumion, you cannot load the files in older versions of Lumion.
- Changes in versions sometimes mean that some features are not supported or have changed in newer versions of Lumion.
- After transferring your Imported Models and Scenes to a newer version, you may need to reset or adjust certain things like Photo or Movie Effects to match the way the current Lumion version works.
4.1: To transfer your Favorites from the Imported Model Library and the Lumion Model Library, please:
- Copy the file settings(Version).ini from Documents\Lumion (OLD VERSION).
- Rename it to settings(NEW VERSION).ini.
- Place it in Documents\Lumion (NEW VERSION) folder.
Example: Transferring your favorite objects and materials from Lumion 11.5 to Lumion 12.
- Quit Lumion and copy Documents\Lumion 11.0\settings11.ini.
- Rename the copied file to settings12.ini.
- Move the copied file to Documents\Lumion 12.0\ and restart Lumion 12.