Remote or virtual desktop compatibility
Lumion 9.0 and newer can run on some virtual machines or remote desktop platforms. We have also listed a few third party providers which provide cloud virtual desktop services below.
Important: Not all virtual cloud desktop offerings you find online can run Lumion. Many of them do not meet our hardware requirements. Always check if the virtual cloud desktop you are using or purchasing has hardware that matches Lumion's System Requirements.
When looking for a virtual or remote desktop solution that matches your needs, please note that using 3D programs such as Lumion over cloud solutions require a fast internet connection and cloud software that prioritizes low-latency connections and fast video encoding and streaming. This would ensure that every click on your PC results in an immediate reaction on screen from the video feed of the cloud computer you are accessing.
Important: Lumion will only work if you start it via the remote desktop connection. If Lumion is already running when you start a remote desktop connection, the mouse sensitivity will be too high.
- External Link: Shadow
- Shadow provides desktop environments for rent and uses a fast low-latency streaming technology. It is not possible to use Shadow's services immediately, there is currently a waiting list.
- External Link: Cloudalize
- Cloudalize provides desktop environments for rent and uses the Citrix platform. Currently, only the most high-end plan on Cloudalize can run Lumion smoothly. Also, you will need to contact Cloudalize's customer support to request that they change the settings of your virtual desktop to prioritize low-latency over image quality. Note also that Lumion 10.5 Pro Student does not support Cloudalize.
- External Link: Parsec
- Unlike the service above which involves renting a PC in the cloud, Parsec is software that you can install on your own work/home office PC and remote control it from anywhere using another PC you use. It prioritizes low-latency connection and has fast streaming technology to ensure a smooth experience while remotely controlling your work PC. The Parsec software should be installed on your work and home PC alike.
Lumion does not officially support remote desktop access via any other apps/services, for example:
- Splashtop, WMWare Fusion, VMWare VDI, ZenApp, Teamviewer, Nvidia GRID, RTX Server, XenServer, XenDesktop, HP zCentral Remote Boost etc and any other virtual machine/virtual desktop implementations.
There are currently no plans to add support for any of these apps/services.
- External Link: Microsoft Remote Desktop
- Microsoft Remote Desktop works for some users but is not officially supported.
- The mouse sensitivity issue observed in Lumion 8.5 and older versions when accessing Lumion via Windows Remote Desktop has been resolved in Lumion 9.0 and newer versions. However, Windows Remote Desktop is not recommended as it is slow and may result in glitches. We advise anyone who is interested in accessing Lumion via Windows Remote Desktop to first test it out in an operational configuration.
- External Link: Team Viewer
- Some remote desktop applications such as TeamViewer might let you start the rendering procedure but navigating around scenes and moving objects etc will not work as expected due to network lag and mouse sensitivity issues. All other remote desktop applications such as VMWare products will have trouble running Lumion.