1. Here's how
Technical support staff members may ask you to attach a Diagnostics Report to a Lumion Support Center topic from time to time when working to resolve a problem.
The Diagnostics Report is a text file which contains hardware and software information about the PC to help diagnose problems.
1.1: The first step is to generate a DXDiag_Lumion.txt file on the relevant computer.
Knowledge Base: How do you provide a Diagnostics Report?
1.2: Open the DXDiag_Lumion.txt file in Notepad or any other text editor.
2. Verify that all available Windows updates have been installed
Lumion requires that you install the most recent Windows updates.
2.1: Press CTRL + F and type 'Operating System' to locate this entry in the file.
2.2: Verify that the date of the latest Windows Build version is from April 2018 or later.
- Example: Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
- '180410' means 2018 April 10th.
2.3: If the latest Windows update is older than that, please install the latest available updates:
3. Verify that the graphics card meets the minimum system requirements
3.1: In Notepad, Press CTRL + F and type 'Card name' to locate this entry in the file.
If there is more than one entry (i.e. two graphics cards), you need the name of the card that is connected to the monitor that the Lumion window is running on. The name will either begin with 'Nvidia' or 'AMD'. Any other graphics card name, for example 'Intel HD', indicates that it is unsuitable for running Lumion.
3.2: Use the card name from the Diagnostics Report to verify that it meets the minimum system requirements:
Knowledge Base: Which graphics card do you need?
4. Verify that the graphics card driver is recent
Lumion requires that recent graphics card driver is installed.
4.1: In Notepad, Press CTRL + F and type 'Driver Date' to locate this entry in the file.
4.2: Please verify that the graphics card driver version is not older than 3 months.
- Example: Driver Date/Size: 24/06/2018 01:00:00
4.3: If the date is older than 3 months, please install the latest available graphics card driver version:
5. Verify that there is sufficient System Memory
If Lumion runs out of Graphics Card Memory, Windows will allocate more memory in System Memory.
5.1: In Notepad, click at the top of the text. Then press CTRL + F and type 'Memory' to locate this entry in the file.
5.2: Please verify that the Memory number is higher than the minimum system requirements:
- Lumion 9.5 and older: 8 GB.
- Lumion 10.0 and newer: 16 GB.
5.3: If the number is lower than the minimum system requirements, please contact the manufacturer of your computer and ask them how to install more System Memory:
Knowledge Base: What kind of computer does Lumion need?
6. Verify that there is sufficient Virtual Memory
6.1: In Notepad, press CTRL + F and type 'Page File' to locate this entry in the file.
6.2: Add the 'Used' number to the 'Available' number to verify that the total number is higher than 51200 (50 GB):
- Example: Page File: 12448 MB Used, 38892 MB Available
6.3: If the total is lower than 51200 (50 GB), please follow these instructions to increase the amount of Virtual Memory:
Knowledge Base: How do you change the amount of Virtual Memory in Windows?
6.4: If you experience crashes when rendering complex Scenes in Lumion, you may need to increase the amount of Virtual Memory to 100 GB.
7. Verify that there is sufficient free space on the harddrive(s)
When you save .LS Scene files in Lumion, they are temporarily saved to the folder below before being moved to the destination folder you selected:
- Lumion 8.5 and older: (DRIVE):\...Documents/Lumion (VERSION)
- Lumion 9.0 and newer: (DRIVE):\...Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Local\Lumion (VERSION)
- Lumion 8.5 and older: C:\Users\Username\Documents\Lumion 8.0
- Lumion 9.3: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Lumion 9.3
Lumion can only save .LS Scene files if there is enough free space on the drive that these folders are located on.
7.1: In Notepad, press CTRL + F and type 'Free Space' to locate the entry for the relevant drive in the file.
7.2: Verify that the number is higher than 30 GB:
- Example: Free Space: 111.5 GB
7.3: If the total is lower than 30 GB, please remove some files from the drive to increase the amount of free space to a minimum of 30 GB.