Lumion 10.3: Release Notes
- Please note that Projects and models saved in version 10.3 cannot be opened in older versions of Lumion.
- Please click on the following link to see how to open Projects from older versions of Lumion in Lumion 10.3:
- Knowledge Base: Lumion 10.3: Everything you need to know
Note: Features, models and materials with the asterisk (*) character are only available in Lumion 10.3 Pro.
1. New Feature Highlights
1.1: Lumion LiveSync for AutoCAD (Build Mode, Photo Mode, Movie Mode, Panorama Mode)
Always get a real-time view of your AutoCAD 3D model in Lumion’s breathtaking, full context environments with Lumion LiveSync for AutoCAD, new in Lumion 10.3.
The free Lumion LiveSync for AutoCAD plugin lets you set up a simultaneous, real-time connection between your 3D model in AutoCAD and Lumion 10.3. Change the model’s shape in AutoCAD to test a modified design, and you’ll instantly see the model updated in Lumion so you can view it with accurate lighting and shadow, surrounding context such as urban neighborhoods or rural settings, and beautiful, realistic materials.
Lumion LiveSync for AutoCAD supports AutoCAD 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 and is available here:
- Download Link: Download Lumion LiveSync for AutoCAD
1.2: Custom Displacement Maps (Build Mode)
Lumion comes with a wide and impressive collection of high-quality, physically-based rendered (PBR) materials. Now, in Lumion 10.3, you can instantly heighten the realism, texture and detail of any material with the new Displacement Map import feature. By making your materials look as real as possible, you can open the door to endless possibilities for creating atmosphere and emotional involvement in your architectural renders.
The new Displacement Map import feature requires that you download or make your own Displacement Maps for Lumion’s built-in or customized materials. For the best performance, import textures with a maximum width/height of 4,000 pixels only.
You can learn more about where to find textures for your materials here:
- Lumion Community: The official Lumion list of texture collections
1.3: Hyperlight in the High-Quality preview (Photo Mode, Movie Mode)
Lumion 10.3 comes with a significant improvement to the High-quality preview feature by incorporating Hyperlight lighting into the preview, enhancing the beauty of your real-time view.
This is a great timesaver when tweaking the lighting of your Photos and Clips.
Example showing the High-quality preview with Hyperlight enabled in Lumion 10.3:
1.4: Support for .SKP files from SketchUp 2020
Lumion 10.3 can now also import .SKP files from SketchUp 2020.
Get the latest plug-in here:
- Download Link: Download Lumion LiveSync for SketchUp
1.5: Automatic Reflection Planes in the Reflection Effect (Photo Mode, Movie Mode, Panorama Mode)
In the Reflection Effect, a new button has been added to the Edit Reflection Planes Mode. This function
analyzes the surfaces in the viewport and automatically applies Reflection Planes to the planar surfaces with reflective materials that benefit the most from them.
You can use the auto-created planes as selected by Lumion, or add and delete planes (as in previous versions) so that you get the optimal number and selection of surfaces for the Projects reflection planes.
1.6: Improvements to the Timeline slider (Movie Mode)
Holding down the Shift key while dragging the Timeline slider now lets you finetune the slider position.
If the mouse cursor is placed on the Timeline slider and the time is set to frames (rather than seconds), the Left Arrow key and Right Arrow key allow you to move the position of the Timeline slider by one frame at a time.
If the time is set to seconds, hold down the Ctrl key to show the frames before pressing the navigation keys - Left Arrow key and Right Arrow key.
1.7: Large texture previews (Material Editor Mode)
When the mouse cursor is placed on the Color Map slot, the Normal Map slot or the Displacement Map slot, the full path to the file as well as a larger preview (up to 400 x 400 pixels) are displayed.
2. Changes & Resolved Errors
2.1: Build Mode
- At 3 Star Editor Quality or lower, Video Textures are now paused at the first frame of the video in Build Mode (Object Mode, Landscape Mode and Weather Mode). This is done in order to boost performance. In Material Mode, Video Textures will playback.
- Shadows from the sun on the Lumion Landscape are now also visible at 2 and 3 Star Editor Quality.
- In Place Mode when rotating animated 3D people and animal models, the Rotation gizmo will follow the mouse cursor exactly.
- In Build with Effects Mode, rotate and move are now working correctly with the 2-Point Perspective Effect enabled.
- In Build with Effects Mode, objects placed outside of the 10x10 km Lumion Landscape are able to be properly selected.
- The original lights being replaced will no longer also show when doing a Replace Selection.
- When importing models, Lumion will now always generate a new thumbnail image in the Imported Model Library.
- It is no longer possible to try duplicating a Fine-Detail Nature object or a Landscape Cutter object via Alt + Move as these objects should not be copied using Alt + Move. The object will move as if using the Move Tool only.
- Text fields no longer become unresponsive when you move your selection to a hidden Layer.
- Paint Placement now shows a blocked icon next to the mouse cursor when painting outside the 2 x 2 km Lumion Landscape that is supported. The border of the 2 x 2 km Lumion Landscape is also shown.
- When a Simple Text object is selected and you click on the toolbar (Place, Select, Rotate, Scale, and Delete), then Lumion will not select any other Simple Text object that might be in the Project.
- An object that is placed above the Lumion Landscape and is seen from below can now be moved by using Move in combination with Shift (Move objects horizontally), Z (Move objects along the Z axis only) or X (Move objects along the X axis only).
- The corner nodes of the Landscape Cutter object that were not required during a Move Up, Move Horizontal and Type-In are no longer visible.
- The cutout for a Lumion Landscape will be hidden when the Landscape Cutter object is moved to a Layer that is hidden.
- Water Planes can now be placed correctly again.
- Occluded People - 3D - Silhouettes models are no longer rendered on top of Projected Reflections.
- Some dead trees that were still in Nature - Broadleaves are now moved to Nature - Leafless trees.
- Animations are now frozen at the current frame of the Entire Movie, Clip or Photo for all modes available in Build with Effects Mode.
- Billboard characters (People - 2D and People - 2d - Silhouettes), will now ignore collision with any other character models when in Place Mode.
- The Object Insertion Point is no longer considered a node when using Place objects on nodes.
- Objects from the Effects category can no longer be grouped accidentally.
- The interface no longer overlaps the Layer toolbar when in Edit Group Mode.
- The camera can now move through parts of the Lumion Landscape that are below 0.0 m and that are being cut by the Landscape Cutter object.
- Duplicating a model with Variations via Alt + Move will now keep its Variations.
- When multiple models with Variations are selected, all selected models will switch to the clicked on Variation. If a model does not have a Variation in that position, it will not switch.
- Simple Text objects now show complex characters, such as Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana characters, correctly.
- Using Randomize Position on your selection right after it was duplicated will now keep the correct average position of the selection.
- Water Planes are now correctly placed just above the Lumion Landscape in Build with Effects Mode with the 2-Point Perspective Effect enabled.
- Tooltips are now shown in the hotkeys list for any pressed hotkey.
- The ALT key now works as a toggle when moving a selection, just like all other hotkeys. When moving a selection using ALT + Move and the ALT key is released then the selection will be moved not duplicated.
- The performance of duplicating a selection when using ALT + Move has been improved. This is most noticeable for larger selections.
2.2: Movie, Photo and Panorama Modes
- Photos will keep their assigned Style and/or Effects when rearranging their position on Photo Set 2 or higher.
- The shadows in Projected Reflections are now updated for each new Photo when rendering a Photo Set.
- In Record Clip or Edit Clip mode, it is possible again to use CTRL + number key to store camera keyframes to Photo Set 1. And restore the Photo slot to a camera keyframe in the Clip Editor by using Shift + number key.
- The Aurora Effect now animates when the Clip or Movie is rendered at 1 Star Output Quality.
- Imported animated objects will continue their animation over the duration of multiple Clips.
- Ease in/out linear transitions between Clips are now 100% linear.
- The camera will no longer overshoot when the camera position is close to the position of the camera in the next or previous camera keyframe.
- There will no longer be a shadow shape rendered on the landscape when the Shadow Range is below 300m and Shadow Type is Ultra Sharp for a users Project.
- Shadows are now correctly rendered in the Planar Reflections in the Reflection Effect.
- The Specular Reflection map in the Custom Output Map options now renders all different reflection types (Planar Reflections, Speedray Reflections and Projected Reflections).
- The settings for Weathering, Edges, and Foliage are now retained when a copy of an Imported Model is added to the Project.
- Lowering the Weathering value to 0 will no longer make surfaces disappear.
- A Video Texture will no longer show a warning icon with the message ‘The movie failed to load’ when it has been loaded.
- The Landscape Material is now correctly displayed when the camera is far away from the Imported Model.
- The Water Material is no longer rendered when it is underwater, for example below the Ocean or a Water Plane.
- The resolution of a Color Map or Displacement Map will no longer affect the Normal Map created by Lumion. For example, a 256 x 256 version of a Color Map will generate a similar Normal Map as a 2048x2048 version of the same image.
- Some tweaks were made to the interface in Material Mode. In the Object Properties panel the buttons Select all in this layer and Lock object selection and make it unable to select that could not be used in certain cases have been removed. The Layer toolbar is now accessible. The Flip normal map direction button has been re-positioned next to the Relief slider. And the Colorization color can now be accessed by clicking the Choose color button next to the Colorization slider.
- Video Textures do not use the alpha map of the embedded Color Map for shadows anymore.
- The trashcan button to delete a material is only visible in the Custom materials category.
2.4: Effects & Styles
- In the Reflection Effect while in Edit Reflection Planes an information text has been added about using Reflection Planes and the effect that it can have on the performance of Lumion.
- The Flicker Reduction slider has been removed in the Reflection Effect and replaced with an internally calculated value for near pixel perfect reflections.
- Keyframes set in the Variation Control Effect are now using step interpolation instead of linear interpolation. The variation switches on the keyframes.
- The 3D text in the Title Effect now renders complex characters, such as Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana characters correctly.
- In the Material Highlight Effect when in Edit Mode the selected surface no longer shows the highlight overlay when moving the camera.
2.5: Save, load and recovery
- The Project title and description from Lumion 9.x and older files will no longer show in the Recent Projects thumbnails.
- The Lumion Viewer now shows the Lumion Landscape correctly in relation to Imported Models for Projects that were based on certain Example Projects.
2.6: Importing and Exporting
- An additional copy of the textures that were imported via your 3D/CAD software is no longer stored in the Modelname.lib file in Documents/Lumion 10.0/Library. The result is smaller Imported Model files and .LS Project files.
- Variations in the Variations interface in Build Mode are no longer removed when LiveSync is reconnected to one of the Variations.
- Xrefs in .DWG files are now imported with the correct materials.
- Lumion no longer crashes when importing .DWG files that contain XRefs.
- Tesselation of imported .DWG files is controlled by their FACETRES value in AutoCAD. See our Knowledge Base article - section 2.3: How do you get your models to look as round in Lumion as they do in AutoCAD? in: Model import guidelines for AutoCAD.
- While starting up, Lumion will now check if it has read/write access in the Documents folder.
If not, you will be referred to a Knowledge Base article which advises you how to resolve this issue.
- In Select Mode, the position will never show trailing zeros and never more than 2 decimals when typing in positions. For example; “0.00 > 0”, “0.10 > 0.1”, “15.108 > 15.11”, “15.104 > 15.1” “15.0 > 15”.
- When rendering a frame from an Image Sequence the error.log file will no longer show the text 'Error: Save to file'.
- Various text errors have been corrected.
- In rare cases, object culling may result in flickering shadows when rendering high-resolution Movies with certain NVIDIA RTX graphics cards, for example the NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti. You can now disable object culling if you encounter such a problem in your Project. Here's how:
- Right-click on the shortcut icon for Lumion 10.3 and select Properties.
- In the Target field, add a space and paste "/gpuculling:[false]" into the field.
- Click on 'OK' and restart Lumion.