You might also have these similar questions:
- How can I install Lumion if my PC is low on free file space?
- How can I save space when downloading or installing Lumion?
You need a minimum amount of free file space to download and install Lumion. There are some options to where you put the files.
1. About the files:
1.1: Required File Size and Space:
Current version: Lumion 12 and newer updates for V12.
- Download of the install files: 22.8GB.
- Installation: 37.2GB.
Prior version(final): Lumion 11.5.1
- Download of the install files: 18GB.
- Installation: 33GB.
These are minimums.
1.2: Main File Types:
There are three main file types for an installation:
From Lumion 12.3.0 and newer:
- The Installer (includes both the downloader and the installer) - Lumion_[Major version_Minor version_Sub Minor version][Edition]_Download.exe.
For example, Lumion_12_3_1_Download.exe.
- The Install files - Lumion_[Major version_Minor version_Sub Minor version][Edition]_Download.0XX.
For example: Lumion_12_3_1_Download.000 through to Lumion_12_3_1_Download.016.
- The .cache file.
Prior to Lumion 12.3:
- The Download Manager - Lumion_[version]_Download.exe, for example: Lumion_12_0_Download.exe.
- The Installer - Lumion_[version]_LUM[MajorVersion][Edition].exe: for example: Lumion_12_0_LUM12PRO.exe.
- The Install files - Lumion_[version]_LUM[MajorVersion][Edition].BIN: for example: Lumion_12_0_LUM12PRO-1a.bin.
1.3: Where are the Installer Files?
By default, the Download Manager - the first file you get when you click on the link in your Lumion Account is saved to the Windows 'Downloads' folder on C:\ (operating system) drive.
Or some other location:
- If you have changed the default save location in your browser.
- Or you have created a different folder for the files to download to.
1.4: Where are the files Installed?
The installer will create the application files and content in:
- The default location of [install drive]\Program Files, usually C:\Program Files\Lumion [version].
- At the time of installation, you can choose a different location (drive and folder). Exception - unless the install is a full install for a hotfix update.
- Our release article - Everything You Need to Know in the News Section will advise on the type of installation and where it will install to.
2. Free up File Space:
Here are some suggestions for freeing file space. Applies to Lumion 12 but also to earlier versions:
- If you no longer require the prior version, then uninstall it. If it is Lumion 11, then that will release about 33GB.
- Delete the install files for Lumion 11 if you still have those on your PC, 18GB. You can always download them later on if needed from your Lumion Account.
- Download the Lumion 12 Download Manager file to a different drive than C:\ drive. The Download Manager will then save the installer files to that drive.
- If needed, you can install Lumion 12 on any other drive. Caution: if it is a removable drive then do not remove the drive when Lumion is open.
Also, follow the suggestions from the Microsoft Help website:
- External Link: Free up drive space in Windows 10 and Windows 11
Your PC should always have at the very least 30GB of free file space after installing Lumion. Windows requires 20GB free, Lumion and other 3D applications another 10GB.
You can always monitor free file space via Windows File Explorer or Windows 10 Disk Management.
Here are some other links to help find out where you are using file space:
- Knowledge Base: Why is the Download Manager not working?
- Knowledge Base: How do you resolve installation problems?