LUMION 8.0: RELEASE NOTES
06 November 2017
- Please note that Scenes and imported models saved in 8.0 are not backwards compatible with earlier versions.
- Please read the forum post above to see how to open projects from older versions of Lumion.
- New Sky Light Effect on the World tab which will simulate soft, ambient shadows from the sky. The shadows are only added in areas that the sky is visible from. It is not possible to include the result of the Sky Light Effect effect in the Preview screen.
- New Soft Shadows function in the Shadow Effect that will blur shadows, the farther away from the shadow-casting objects they are. This function only works when the Shadow type' is set to 'Normal'.
- New Fine Detail Shadows function in the Shadow Effect that will add micro-shadows to objects, for example to grass and leaves.
- New Styles presets(pre-made effect combinations) to make it very easy to render realistic images and movies as well as artistic renderings.
- New Time Warp Effect on the Objects tab which allows you to adjust the current animation frame of animated 3D people & animals as well as imported animated models.
- New Outlines Effect (Lumion Pro only) on the Sketch tab. Add artistic sketch outlines to your renderings among other things.
- New Variation Control Effect (Lumion Pro only) on the Objects tab which lets you switch between different versions of an imported model to show different materials and designs.
- New Tilt Shift Effect (Lumion Pro only) on the Camera tab which makes it possible to render photos and movies with a look that's similar to macro shots of scale models.
- New Layer Visibility Effect on the Objects tab which allows you to show or hide the objects placed in any Build mode layer. This effect replaces the Hide Layer and Show Layer effects in older versions of Lumion.
- HyperLight Effect is now available on the World tab.
- New Temperature and Vibrance sliders in the Color Correction Effect make it even easier to set the mood in your renderings.
- Anti-aliasing has been significantly improved when rendering images and movies.
- The 2-Point Perspective effect now includes a slider instead of a toggle option.
- New Clear effects menu item in the 'Edit' sub-menu of the Context Menu above the effects panel.
- New 4k movie resolution option (3860x2160)when rendering image sequences and MP4 movie files. This option requires a graphics card with 6GB or more of memory.
- Handheld Camera Effect: New Look at fixed point option which makes the camera point towards a custom-defined position in your scene.
- The Hyperlight Effect now also works in Movie mode. Please note that the range of the effect is significantly lower in movies, so movies and still images with the Hyperlight effect will not look the same.
- New User Interface (consistent with Photo Mode) for rendering movies and images.
- Photos and photo sets are now rendered in the background, so that you can do other things while Lumion is rendering, including pausing or completely cancelling a render.
- It is now possible to select the photos you want to render on the Photo Set tab.
- New User Interface for rendering photos.
- 621 new Evermotion models(Lumion Pro only) in the Indoor & Outdoor categories. For example food, handbags, clothing, shoes, street furniture, office furniture, sofas, beds and so on.
- 14 new Evermotion HD cars and bikes(Lumion Pro only) in the Transport category.
- 74 new trees and bushes(Lumion Pro only) in the Nature category.
- 25 new animated 3D people and animals(Lumion Pro only) in the People & Animals category (including bicyclists, a dog walker etc)
(Note: Lumion has approximately 33% of the models from the full Lumion Pro library)
- 100 new high-definition materials from Poliigon.com and 48 additional materials: They are available in the Tiles, Curtains, Fabric, Metal, Plaster and Plastics sections in the Indoors category as well as in the Concrete, Glass, Metal, Roofing, Stone and Asphalt sections in the Outdoors category. There are also new materials in the Grass, Soil and Water categories in the Nature category.
- New Water material: Enhanced water with 3D waves/ripples for even more realistic looking water.
- New Water category with 20 pre-made materials using the new Water material.
- New Edges slider in the Weathering tab (Lumion Pro only) in Standard materials. This function will soften hard surface edges (as well as soften the Relief from NormalMaps).
- New Variations function (Lumion Pro only) that lets you import different versions of a model and switch between those variations, for example to show different materials and designs. Assigned Lumion materials are automatically transferred from the original model to the variations when they are being imported.
- New Group function which lets you group certain object types. The Groups can be animated as a single object in Movie mode. The function also lets you change the pivot point of the Group object, so that you can make it rotate around a specific point. This is useful if you import a door object that you want to animate.
- The OpenStreetMap function (Lumion Pro only) now includes several new buttons which let you toggle the visibility of buildings and move & rotate the OpenStreetMap model(Please note that if you load a scene with an OpenStreetMap model from an older version of Lumion, you have to download it again in 8.0).
- Landmark buildings/structures in the OpenStreetMap model (Lumion Pro only) are now more detailed in some cities (Please note that if you load a scene with an OpenStreetMap model from an older version of Lumion, you have to download it again in 8.0).
- Mass Placement function: It is now possible to add more than two points to Mass Placement lines. The points can also be made rounder.
- It is now possible to create sub-folders in 'Documents\Lumion 8.0\Library' when importing models from within Lumion.
- You can now re-import multiple selected imported models.
- A new pagination function makes it easy to cycle through imported model folders.
- OmniLights now have a new Fall-off slider(like Area Lights). This makes it possible to control the light intensity over distance.
- New Grid object (Lumion Pro only) in the Lights & Special Objects category. This object is useful as a guide when placing models in a grid shape.
- New Measurement object(Lumion Pro only) in the Lights & Special Objects category. Hold down the left mouse and drag to create a measurement between two (or more) points.
IMPORTING & EXPORTING
- ArchiCAD To Lumion Bridge for ArchiCAD 21 is now available on:
- DWG To Lumion Bridge 2018 now supports DWG files from AutoCAD 2018. The plug-in is available on this page:
- Lumion Plug-In for Revit 2.0.3 is available on the following page:
- The included fixes in version 2.0.3 are listed in the Changes & Resolved Errors section below.
- The Demo Scenes that are included with Lumion have been updated.
- Files screen: The Save Scene functionality has been overhauled. Scenes are no longer saved in the 'Documents\Lumion (Version)\Scenes' folder. All Scenes are now saved to an LS8 file at a file location of your choosing. Select Save as to save a new LS8 file, or Overwrite to overwrite an existing file.
- 'Files' screen: The Load Scene functionality has been overhauled. You now load a scene only from an LS8 file. Recent Scenes saved are displayed as a thumbnail with up to 99 displayed as part of your history. Click on a Recent Scenes thumbnail to open it directly within Lumion, rather than via the Load Scene button.
CHANGES & RESOLVED ERRORS
- A warning that the oldest uploaded MyLumion Panorama Project will be deleted if you upload more than 10 Projects is now displayed correctly again.
- Spotlight shadows no longer disappear if you click on the Show desktop button in Windows.
- Mass Placement function: Holding down the CTRL key to place a second point in a Mass Placement line now places one point instead of two.
- Mass Placement function: The first object in a new line is now more random than before.
- Mass Placement function: It is now possible to change & randomize the orientation of Leaves objects.
- SpotLights: The user interface for selecting the shadow type has been improved.
- SpotLights: Shadow banding no longer appears on walls.
- It is no longer possible to place objects by mistake when clicking inside an object properties window.
- Move mode: CTRL-clicking on the category buttons now de-selects all buttons and only selects the category that was clicked.
- Place mode: Orientation and Size sliders are now also displayed on this tab.
- The Theatre (Play) mode button has been removed. Please use the F11 key from now on.
- Bounding boxes are now hidden in all sub-modes in Build mode - apart from when the Move mode/Place mode tabs are selected.
- When using the Change height function, you can now hold down the SHIFT key to fine-tune the position of the model.
- Moving objects to a hidden Layer now only requires a single click.
- IvyLeaf, IvyRoots and IvyFlower models are no longer rotated randomly when duplicated with the ALT-key.
- The Y-position tooltip is no longer displayed when the placement preview bounding box of a model is placed in the sky.
- Place current item on nodes followed by Replace with Library selection no longer results in an incorrect scale for the model(s).
- Replacing a light using the Replace with Library selection Context Menu option now assigns the settings of the old light to the new light.
- Weather Settings: The Sun Brightness value is now being saved in scene files.
- ALT + Copy: Moving up several objects at a time now works as expected.
- ALT + Copy: If 3D people with a color are duplicated, the color now remains assigned to both the duplicates and the original model.
- The Brightness slider value of Spotlights is now unchanged when pasting a hexadecimal color into the color selector.
- Keyboard shortcut tooltips are no longer being shown twice when switching between Place mode & Move mode.
- High Brightness slider values for Smoke & Fog/Dust objects no longer results in artifacts.
- Undo is now disabled after ALT-copying an object. This is to prevent an error which makes the duplicate move back to the original object.
- Keyboard shortcut tooltips no longer flicker for a short moment after releasing the A/W/S/D/Q/E keys.
- The selection rectangle is now easier to see in night scenes.
- The default tonemapping, saturation, brightness, contrast and shadow brightness have been tweaked for a more realistic default look.
- Current Shot tab: Lumion now remembers which image file type you last selected.
- Near Clip Plane Effect: The slider range has been increased to 0.1-10.
- Fog Effect: The foreground area is now less affected by fog (depending on the Density slider value).
- Rain Effect: Rain clouds are now darker.
- Cartoon Effect: The Outline Transparency slider no longer makes outlines white instead of transparent at higher values.
- Fish Eye Effect: The distortion in previews should now match the rendered result more closely.
- Material Highlight Effect combined with Blueprint Effect: The 3D view no longer flickers when moving the mouse cursor over sliders.
- Transparency for trees and plants now look the same on photo renderings and in movies. You may need to increase the Transparency slider value for trees from older versions if you want them to look the same as in previous versions of Lumion.
- The maximum intensity of the Hyperlight effect has been reduced a bit to avoid situations with extreme lighting.
- 3D grass no longer shows through surfaces if 2 or more reflection planes overlap.
- 3D grass now looks more dense in the distance.
- Snow Effect: Fire objects are now visible when this effect is active.
- Reflection Effect: Mirrored copies of scatter objects (rocks) from the terrain are no longer included in planar reflections in a user-submitted scene.
- DIB and PFM image output formats are no longer available.
- Styrofoam Effect is disabled in Entire Movie mode to prevent problems with luminance.
- Combining the Global Illumination effect & the 2-Point Perspective effect no longer results in artifacts in planar reflections in a user-submitted scene.
- When the Reflection effect preview is set to 'Low' and a reflection plane is assigned to a (standard) Glass material, the surface is no longer a bit brighter.
- Raising/lowering the Lumion terrain is now taken into account after using the Flatten terrain function and clicking on the Undo button.
- There are no longer black sun shadow artifacts in the distance when moving the camera very high up and rendering an image in a user-submitted scene.
- A Standard material with the Emissive slider set to the max value no longer causes Email and Desktop resolution renders to be dark in a user-submitted scene.
- The Material Highlight Effect overlay is now taking optional 2-Point Perspective Effects into account when displaying a preview of the highlighted material.
- There are no longer artifacts on PureGlass surfaces with planar reflections assigned to them in a user-submitted scene with a very high Sun Brightness slider value.
- The default tonemapping, saturation, brightness, contrast and shadow brightness have been tweaked for a more realistic default look.
- Deleting a photo now also removes effects assigned to the photo.
- Animated people and animals are no longer synchronized in a user-submitted scene.
- All animated objects, functions and materials are now paused at frame 0 of their animations (Use the new Time Warp Effect in the Objects tab to adjust the current animation frame of animated 3D people & animals as well as imported animated models).
- Artifacts no longer appear on reflective materials while SpeedRay Reflections are turned on when pressing the U key multiple times to update Projected Reflections.
- 3D Sounds are no longer audible as animations are paused by default in Photo' mode.
- The frame count can now be displayed above the timeline slider by pressing the CTRL key whilst the mouse is over the timeline. If you select to render to a frame range, the timeline slider displays the frame count by default, until you choose to render with another option. Whilst using the frame range option, you can toggle the display to show the seconds counter using the CTRL key whilst the mouse is over the timeline slider.
- MaterialID output format: Models that are below the Lumion terrain are now clipped correctly.
- Image sequence tab: TGA output format is no longer saved in BMP format by mistake.
- Image sequence tab: DDS output format can now be opened in Photoshop.
- Animate Light Colors effect: The selectable area of Spotlight icons is no longer offset.
- Projected Reflections are now updated automatically after moving (and releasing) the timeline slider.
- Frames per second is no longer displayed by default while rendering. Hold down the CTRL key to display it again.
- While rendering movies, Time remaining is now only displayed after the first 16 frames have been rendered.
- After uploading a movie to YouTube, the options window is no longer closed if you choose to save the movie as an MP4 file on your hard-drive.
- The Stereoscopic Settings effect has been renamed to the Side by Side 3D Stereo effect.
- When rendering a Depth map in a user-submitted scene, a water plane is no longer rendered by mistake.
- Titles Effect: Text is now displayed correctly, regardless of which of the 9 screen positions are selected when using the Circle Reveal style.
- 3D Sounds are now only audible when playing a movie.
- The camera no longer moves to a different position after deleting all camera keyframes in a clip.
- The framerate of videos being rendered at 200 frames per second will be scaled down to 60 frames per second as YouTube does not support 200 frames per second.
- Color material: The Brightness slider has been removed. If you need this function, please replace the material with a Standard material and then use the Emissive slider on the Settings tab.
- A Standard material with a transparency clip mask now has 16 levels of transparency in Lumion instead of 9.
- The Waterfall material has been moved from the Nature category to the Custom category.
- The Brightness slider of the Waterfall material has been removed.
- Leaves are no longer incorrectly applied to certain materials by default.
- The Flicker Reduction slider value is now displayed with more digits when close to 0.0.
- The material settings for the Water and Lightmap materials are now shown when you click to assign one of these materials.
- When a model has been used in a scene, the icon for the Model recently in use tooltip in the Imported Model browser window now includes a button icon.
- Trees\Leaf - Medium\European_White_Birch has been moved to the Legacy folder and can no longer be placed in your scenes, but is available for a scene from a prior version.
- Trees\Leaf - Medium\BlackElder has been moved to the Legacy folder and can no longer be placed in your scenes, but is available for a scene from a prior version.
- Trees\Leaf - Medium\Red_Maple has been moved to the Legacy folder and can no longer be placed in your scenes, but is available for a scene from a prior version.
- Trees\Conifers\AlaskaCedar has been moved to the Legacy folder and can no longer be placed in your scenes, but is available for a scene from a prior version.
IMPORTING & EXPORTING
- ArchiCAD: Exported model names that include Japanese characters are now exported without any problems. Please use the new 'ArchiCAD To Lumion Bridge' plug-ins for ArchiCAD 20 and 21 on this page:
- Revit: 'Lumion Plug-In for Revit 2.0.3' is available on this page:
- Revit 2018 no longer causes Revit to crash when updating a LiveSync model in a user-submitted scene.
- Certain IFC symbol components in a user-submitted Revit model are now exported to Lumion as separate surfaces.
- Certain parts of surfaces in a user-submitted Revit model are no longer facing the wrong way in Lumion.
- Certain parts of surfaces in a user-submitted Revit RFA model are no longer facing the wrong way in Lumion.
- Section box changes are now transferred instantly to Lumion in a LiveSync model.
- The memory calculation function has been improved when exporting a LiveSync model to Lumion.
- The performance of certain LiveSync models from Revit has been improved further.
- A ceiling made from a basic plane in Revit 2018 (and not a solid) no longer displays in Lumion as a bright surface.
- The Finish Bumps slider amount is now transferred correctly to the LiveSync model in Lumion.
- MPEG 1 Layer II sound is used in the upcoming Lumion 8.0 Student and Lumion 8.0 Trial version when rendering movies with audio. Bear in mind that this format is not audible in Windows Media Player. Please use a different media player, for example VLC.
- The Benchmark test now ensures that CPUs with 4.0 GHz clock frequency or higher will get the maximum score. The graphics card score now runs independently of the CPU (by testing shader instructions) and will therefore more accurately reflect the expected render speed in Lumion.
- In the upcoming Lumion 8.0 Student, it is only possible to open .LS scene files from Lumion Educational Free and Lumion Educational Pro.
- Double-clicking an LS8 scene file now starts Lumion in Editor mode.
- Translation: EN has been changed to US on the language selection screen.
- When saving an .LS scene file, an error is now displayed if the .LIB file of an imported model library object is not present in 'Documents\Lumion 8.0\Library'.
- Model Context Menu: The wording for various menu items has been improved.
- Warning messages are now clearer when there are problems with the license during start-up.
- No internet connection: New icon for OpenStreetMaps, YouTube and MyLumion Photo and Panorama mode uploads.
- When starting Lumion, help information is now displayed as expected when moving the mouse cursor to the Hover for help area.
- Lumion no longer displays an endless number of error messages when re-sizing the Lumion window to the smallest possible size.
- Movie from File: Lumion now checks if the MP4 file is located in the same location as the LS8 file while loading the scene.
- The user interface and wording of many of the functions in Lumion have been improved.