1. Lumion needs a dedicated graphics card with as many PassMark points as possible
1.1: Click here to find out which dedicated graphics card your PC has got. Integrated only graphics (such as Intel HD graphics chips) are not supported.
1.3: Compare your PassMark score to the scores in the 'Recommended graphics card requirements' section below to see what sort of Lumion Projects you can expect to be able to work on.
1.4: Fast graphics cards should ideally be paired with a fast CPU (Processor). Click here for more information.
1.5: Click here to check if your power supply is suitable for your graphics card.
2. Recommended graphics card requirements
The following guidelines describe which graphics card and minimum PassMark points you will need based on the complexity of the Projects you expect to work on:
A detailed city, airport or stadium.
A detailed multi-floor building with interiors made up of many models and HD textures.
A detailed landscape made with high-end Lumion features such as high-detail trees and 3D Grass.
- Minimum 20,000 PassMark points. Examples: NVIDIA RTX 3080, NVIDIA RTX 3090.
- 10 GB+ graphics card memory.
- To keep up with your graphics card, your CPU should have as high a GHz value as possible per thread and should exceed a CPUMark score of 2500 points or more.
A small park or part of a city made with OpenStreetMap or other simple models.
A large home with detailed interiors made up of several models and HD textures but mostly Lumion Library content.
A single residential or commercial model with a single section of landscape using some high-end models such as fine-detail trees.
- Minimum 14,000 PassMark points. Examples: NVIDIA RTX 2070, AMD Radeon RX 5700XT.
- 8 GB+ graphics card memory.
- To keep up with your graphics card, your CPU should have as high a GHz value as possible per thread and should exceed a CPUMark score of 2000 points or more.
A small park or residential building with Lumion models and textures. Please note that this configuration would not be capable of processing Lumions' high-end features such as 3D Grass. We recommend upgrading should you find that your computer is close to these minimum requirements.
- Minimum 7,000 PassMark points. Examples: NVIDIA GTX 1650, AMD Radeon RX 470
- 4 GB+ graphics card memory.
- Rendering movies in 4K resolution (3840x2160 pixels) requires a minimum of 6GB graphics card memory.
- A PC with this hardware is not recommended, as it will not be capable of smoothly handling Lumion’s high-end features. We recommend upgrading if you find that your computer is similar to this configuration.
3. What's the difference between NVIDIA Quadro and NVIDIA GTX/RTX graphics cards?
- Non-Quadro GTX/RTX graphics cards can render "game" graphics very fast (Lumion is built with a game engine).
- Quadro cards often have more memory and can calculate and render lines very fast in CAD software. They also often include certified drivers for specific CAD software.
Many of our customers use GTX/RTX graphics cards when working in both Lumion and in their CAD software. Although there are slight differences between Quadro and GTX/RTX graphics cards, GTX/RTX graphics cards work fine in CAD software. If you need to choose between an expensive Quadro graphics card and a cheaper GTX/RTX graphics card with the same number of PassMark points, the GTX/RTX graphics card is usually a good choice. For every purchasing decision, always consult with a hardware professional to get the best advice for your computer's specific configuration.
4. Multiple graphics cards (SLI/Crossfire), NVLink and graphics cards with more than 1 GPU
4.1: Multiple graphics cards (in NVIDIA SLI, AMD Crossfire, or NVLink configuration) will not boost the performance or render speed in Lumion. Lumion will only use the graphics card that is connected to the monitor that the Lumion window is starting on.
4.2: Some of our users make use of 2 graphics cards connected to 2 different monitors. That way, you can use Lumion on 1 monitor/graphics card while the other monitor/graphics card is used for other applications. This sort of set-up tends to have a negligible impact on performance. Note that if other programs are running which demand a lot from the computers' CPU, this may result in extended render times as the computers' max performance will be split between many programs.
5. Docking stations
Docking stations (for example the Dell D6000) are not officially supported and we cannot guarantee that Lumion will work as expected.
6. Graphics cards for Dell & HP workstations
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR DELL & HP OWNERS: Some power supplies in Dell and HP computers with high-end graphics cards are known to make the computer restart when you start rendering Photos or Movies in Lumion. A number of users reported that the reboots stopped occurring after they replaced the Dell/HP power supplies with power supplies from reputable manufacturers (80+ gold-rated or better and with a sufficient Wattage).
Unless you can replace the power supply with a more suitable one, you will need to limit the amount of power to the graphics card via an app called MSI Afterburner, so that the graphics card runs slower. This will prevent the PC from restarting in most cases:
- Knowledge Base: Why does your PC sometimes restart when you start rendering?
7. AMD NAVI graphics cards need the latest driver
If you have an AMD Navi graphics card, you should use the very latest AMD driver (from April 1 2020 or newer) to prevent crashes from occurring. Here are the affected graphics cards:
- AMD RX Radeon 5500 XT
- AMD RX Radeon 5600 XT
- AMD RX Radeon 5700
- AMD RX Radeon 5700 XT
- Knowledge Base: What kind of computer does Lumion 11 need?
- Knowledge Base: Which power supply do you need?
- Knowledge Base: Which laptop PCs do you recommend?
- Blog Article: Lumion computer advice for faster 3D rendering (Spring 2020 Update)
- Blog Article: How do you upgrade your graphics card for a better Lumion experience?