1. Power supply requirements for desktop PCs
Note that the following only applies to desktop PCs.
Power supplies for laptop PCs are always designed with the correct Wattage.
The power supply is a very important component. An inferior quality power supply or too low Wattage may cause your desktop PC to reboot if it cannot cope with sudden spikes in demand while you're using Lumion and other demanding 3D applications.
For that reason, we strongly recommend using a power supply from a reputable manufacturer such as Corsair, Super Flower, EVGA or Seasonic.
The power supply should ideally be marked as Gold-rated 80+, Platinum-rated 80+ or Titanium-rated 80+, which means that it is very efficient and can maintain a steady current in spite of fluctuating demand.
2. Which power supply do you need for common desktop PC graphics cards?
Here's an overview of the power supplies you need for high-end NVIDIA GTX graphics cards:
- NVIDIA GTX 1060: Minimum 400W gold-rated power supply. We recommend at least 550W.
- NVIDIA GTX 1070: Minimum 500W gold-rated power supply. We recommend at least 650W.
- NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti: Minimum 500W gold-rated power supply. We recommend at least 650W.
- NVIDIA GTX 1080: Minimum 500W gold-rated power supply. We recommend at least 650W.
- NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti & Titan Xp: Minimum 600W gold-rated power supply. We recommend at least 750W.
- NVIDIA RTX 2070: Minimum 550W gold-rated power supply. We recommend at least 700W.
- NVIDIA RTX 2080 & 2080 Ti: Minimum 650W gold-rated power supply. We recommend at least 800W.
Examples of high-quality power supplies:
- Bitfenix Whisper M Series 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- XFX XTR Series 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- Super Flower Leadex GOLD 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- EVGA SuperNova G3 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- Corsair RM Series RM750X 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- Corsair RM1000i 1000W "80 Plus Gold"
- Super Flower Leadex Platinum 750W "80 Plus Platinum"
- EVGA Supernova P2 750W "80 Plus Platinum"
- Corsair AX850 850W "80 Plus Titanium"
- Seasonic Prime 600W Titanium Fanless
3. How many Watts does your power supply need?
This will depend on the graphics card and how many components, hard-drives and other components your desktop PC has.
3.1: Please click here to look up the minimum required Wattage if you have an NVIDIA graphics card.
3.2: Please click here to look up the minimum required Wattage if you have an AMD graphics card.
We recommend adding about 150 Watt to the NVIDIA or AMD recommendation to be on the safe side.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR DELL & HP OWNERS: Some power supplies in Dell and HP computers with high-end graphics cards are known to make the computer restart when you start rendering Photos or Movies in Lumion. A number of users reported that the reboots stopped occurring after they replaced the Dell/HP power supplies with power supplies from reputable manufacturers (80+ gold-rated or better and with a sufficient Wattage).
Unless you can replace the power supply with a more suitable one, you will need to limit the amount of power to the graphics card via an app called MSI Afterburner, so that the graphics card runs slower. This will prevent the PC from restarting in most cases:
- Knowledge Base: Why does your PC sometimes restart when you start rendering?
Knowledge Base: Which computer do you need for Lumion?
Knowledge Base: Which graphics card do you need?
Knowledge Base: Which laptop PC's do you recommend?
Blog Article: Lumion computer advice for faster 3D rendering