1. Power supply requirements for desktop PCs
Note that the following only applies to desktop PCs.
Power supplies for laptop PCs are always designed with the correct Wattage.
The power supply is a very important component. An inferior quality power supply or too low Wattage may cause your desktop PC to reboot if it cannot cope with sudden spikes or transient spikes in demand while you are using Lumion and other demanding 3D applications.
For that reason, we strongly recommend using a power supply from a reputable manufacturer such as Corsair, Super Flower, EVGA, or Seasonic.
The power supply should ideally be marked as Gold-rated 80+, Platinum-rated 80+, or Titanium-rated 80+. That means it is very efficient and can maintain a steady current in spite of fluctuating demand.
2. Which power supply do you need for common desktop PC graphics cards?
Here's an overview of the power supplies you need for various graphics cards:
(suggest at least 1000W)
(suggest at least 1000W)
|NVIDIA RTX 3070||650W||800W|
|NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti||600W||750W|
|NVIDIA RTX 3060||550W||700W|
|NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti, NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super, NVIDIA RTX 2080, NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super||650W||800W|
|NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super||550W||700W|
|NVIDIA RTX 2060||500W||650W|
|NVIDIA Quadro RTX 8000||295W||450W|
|NVIDIA Quadro RTX 6000||295W||450W|
|NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000||295W||450W|
|NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000||160W||260W|
|NVIDIA Quadro P6000||250W||400W|
|NVIDIA Quadro P5000||180W||280W|
|NVIDIA Quadro P4000||105W||205W|
|NVIDIA Quadro RTX A6000||300W||450W|
|NVIDIA Quadro RTX A5000||230W||380W|
|NVIDIA Quadro RTX A4000||140W||240W|
|AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT||850W||1000W|
|AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT||750W||900W|
|AMD Radeon RX 6800||650W||800W|
|AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT||650W||800W|
|AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT||500W||650W|
|AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT||600W||750W|
|AMD Radeon Pro W6800||650W||800W|
For models not listed here, please see the section below: 3. How many Watts does your power supply need?
Examples of some high-quality power supplies:
- Bitfenix Whisper M Series 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- XFX XTR Series 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- Super Flower Leadex GOLD 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- EVGA SuperNova G3 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- Corsair RM Series RM750X 750W "80 Plus Gold"
- Corsair RM1000i 1000W "80 Plus Gold"
- Super Flower Leadex Platinum 750W "80 Plus Platinum"
- EVGA Supernova P2 750W "80 Plus Platinum"
- Corsair AX850 850W "80 Plus Titanium"
- Seasonic Prime 600W Titanium Fanless
3. How many Watts does your power supply need?
This will depend on the graphics card and how many components, hard-drives, and other components your desktop PC has.
3.1: Please click here to look up the minimum required Wattage if you have an NVIDIA graphics card:
- External Link: NVIDIA graphics cards
3.2: Please click here to look up the minimum required Wattage if you have an AMD graphics card:
- External Link: AMD graphics cards
We recommend adding at least 150 Watt to the NVIDIA or AMD recommendation to be on the safe side.
4. Graphics cards for Dell & HP workstations
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR DELL & HP OWNERS: Some power supplies in Dell and HP computers with high-end graphics cards are known to make the computer restart when you start rendering Photos or Movies in Lumion. A number of users reported that the reboots stopped occurring after they replaced the Dell/HP power supplies with power supplies from reputable manufacturers (80+ gold-rated or better and with a sufficient Wattage).
Unless you can replace the power supply with a more suitable one, you will need to limit the amount of power to the graphics card via an app called MSI Afterburner, so that the graphics card runs slower. This will prevent the PC from restarting in most cases:
- Knowledge Base: Why does your PC sometimes restart when you start rendering?
- Knowledge Base: What kind of computer does Lumion 11 need?
- Knowledge Base: Which graphics card do you need for Lumion 11?
- Knowledge Base: Which laptop PCs do you recommend?
- Blog Article: Lumion computer advice for faster 3D rendering (Spring 2020 Update)