1. Here’s why
Lumion must be allowed to read and write data (for example, Imported Models) in the following folder:
- Documents\Lumion (VERSION)\
In Lumion 2023.1.2 and newer versions, you can change the location of the Documents folder in the settings of the software as explained in the article below:
- Knowledge Base: How do you change the location of the Lumion-documents folder?
Occasionally, something on your PC or network might prevent Lumion from saving data in that folder.
This problem is usually caused by one or more of the following:
- A lack of free space on the hard-drive that the Documents folder is located on.
- Insufficient Windows User Account permissions.
- Overzealous anti-virus/security software.
Please follow these instructions to ensure that Lumion is allowed to read and write data in the folder.
Please right-click on 'Lumion.exe' in the folder that you installed Lumion in, usually [install drive]\Program Files\Lumion (Version), and select 'Run as administrator:
1.2: Correct Permissions:
If that does not resolve the problem, please right-click on Documents\Lumion (VERSION), select Properties and click on the Security tab. Your Windows User Account must have full read/write permissions for this folder and for all sub-folders.
1.3: Enough Free file space:
Then confirm that there are at least 40 GB of free space on the drive that the Documents folder is located on.
- Knowledge Base: What file space do I need to download, install and use Lumion?
1.4: Back-up, file sync or file share software:
Check if the Documents folder or any of the Lumion folders inside the Documents folder are being backed-up by back-up, file sync or file share software, e.g. OneDrive, Gdrive, Dropbox or similar. The back-up software might 'lock' the imported model file before Lumion is done saving it which can result in file corruption or the file will be prevented from being saved. To check if this is the case or not, please temporarily disable the back-up software and try again.
- Knowledge Base: How can you fix Error code 0x4c8 message when saving a file?
1.5: Exclusions in anti-virus/security software:
And lastly, please add exclusions for 'Lumion.exe', the installation folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Lumion) and also the folder Lumion saves files to (Documents\Lumion) on your anti-virus/security software:
- Knowledge Base: How do you resolve anti-virus and firewall problems?