Please note that Lumion does not officially support Chief Architect.
1. Method A: Export a '.DAE' file
Export your Chief Architect model to a '.DAE' file (Collada format) and import it in Lumion:
File -> Export -> Collada...
This option is known to be supported in Chief Architect X10 and newer.
2. Method B: Export a '.DWG' file
If method A does not work as expected, please export your Chief Architect model to a '.DWG' file and import it in Lumion:
File -> Export -> DWG
'.DWG' may be possible for some designs but does not support the export of textures mapped to any surface. In such cases, all materials need to be assigned within Lumion. Lumion users of AutoCAD use the '.DWG' file format.
3. Method C: Export a .3DS Format:
Although Lumion and Chief Architect support the '.3DS' format, it is a very old 3D model file format and has a number of serious limitations, so we do not recommend using it.
- Knowledge Base: Model import guidelines for the Autodesk .3DS file format
4. Tips & Troubleshooting
3.1: Why can't you see the model after importing and placing it in your Project?
- The Insertion Point for the Imported Model in Lumion corresponds to 0,0,0 in Chief Architect.
- If a model is far away from the Insertion Point in Lumion, you need to move the model closer to 0,0,0 in Chief Architect, before exporting it to Lumion.
3.2: Why can't you assign a Lumion material to individual surfaces?
- Lumion will always combine surfaces that use the same material in Chief Architect. If you want to assign a Lumion material to a specific surface, you must assign a unique material to that surface in Chief Architect before Importing or Re-Importing the model.
- External Link: Chief Architect forums: October 6, 2018: DAE to Lumion
- External Link: Chief Architect forums: March 10, 2017: CA to Collada to Lumion
- External Link: Chief Architect forums: November 7, 2019: Controlling material names during a Collada export
- External Link: YouTube: Jintu Designs: 5 Nov 2017: Chief Architect to Lumion
- External Link: YouTube: Mostafa Lamey: 13 Apr 2020: Chief Architect to Lumion Tutorial Teaser #31