image: razor.com: Razer Core X
Lumion will work with eGPUs so long as the graphics card meets the requirements for Lumion and the drivers are kept up to date.
Please keep in mind:
- An eGPU requires the super-fast Thunderbolt (3 or newer) connection type, so make sure to verify that your laptop has one.
- The eGPU must fully support the power requirements of the card. Some eGPU's come with a 500 Watt or more power supply and so long as it is rated Gold 80+then the card will work to full performance. See this article for more information on power supplies.
- Note that the expected performance is usually at approximately 70-80% of its capability given that it is not directly connected to the motherboard.
- The eGPU must be paired with a fast CPU.
If you do decide to go ahead and try an eGPU, make sure it meets the requirements of Lumion in terms of the graphics card performance as in this article:
- Knowledge Base: Which graphics card do you need for Lumion 12?
Also make sure that the rest of the laptop components meet the requirements to run Lumion:
- Knowledge Base: What kind of computer does Lumion 12 need?
Do you have an Existing Laptop?
If you have an existing laptop and want to stay with the laptop instead of a desktop, then you need to consider some options. That includes the cost of adding an eGPU versus purchasing a different laptop with a more modern and powerful graphics card and possibly better supporting system such as faster CPU, storage, etc.
If you want to add an eGPU to a Mac:
Please see this article:
- Knowledge Base: Can you install Lumion on a Mac?
- External Link: BEST EGPU ENCLOSURES – JULY 2022 EXTERNAL GPU BUYER GUIDE
- External Link: The Best External Graphics Cards (eGPU) (2022 Reviews)
Article is closed for comments.