1. To have a great experience with Lumion 2023, you will need:
- A modern computer with a high-performance dedicated NVIDIA or AMD graphics card.
- Internet access.
- A computer that meets or exceeds the Recommended, or High-end system requirements (depending on your needs).
Note: Lumion 2023 requires a Windows operating system, using Windows 10 version 2004 (Build 19041) or newer, or Windows 11 version 21H2 (Build 22000) or newer.
To see which version of Windows 10 or Windows 11 you currently have installed, click on the Windows button and select Settings -> System -> About, to see the version number.
Recent graphics card drivers are also strictly required:
2. How does each hardware component affect Lumion?
The graphics card is the single most important component for Lumion and is used for drawing 3D data on-screen and rendering. Having a graphics card with an adequate level of performance is essential for a great Lumion experience and render outcomes.
|Graphics card memory||
The more graphics card memory is available the more details, textures, and models can be loaded, processed, and rendered by your graphics card.
The CPU plays a role in telling the graphics card what to show you on your screen, and it will be working hard while you are editing your Project. The more details and objects you have in your Project, the more instructions your CPU needs to send to your graphics card.
|System memory (RAM)||
Your RAM plays a role when a Project or model is loaded in Lumion. The more RAM you have, the bigger and more detailed these loaded Scenes and models can be.
The speed of your Hard Drive plays a big role in how fast your models and Projects are loaded. The faster, the better. NVME SSD drives are the latest technology.
A power supply provides the whole system with the electrical current at specific wattage and voltages. It must be able to give each component enough to run well. If it doesn't, the PC may turn itself off, restart, or run at a lower performance to compensate.
1920 x 1080 pixels (minimum)
Your screen resolution may be higher than 1920 x 1080, however, this will impact performance if other Settings are not changed.
3. Match the hardware to the type of Projects you want to do:
A good experience with Lumion relies on the hardware being well-suited to the types of Projects you will want to do. Please see this article to help in understanding what level of hardware you should be considering:
- Knowledge Base: How do you Determine the 'Complexity' of your Projects
Lumion 2023 now comes equipped with Raytracing capabilities, however, to use this feature, a graphics card that supports this technology is required.
GPUs that do support hardware-accelerated raytracing:
- Nvidia GeForce RTXseries (RTX 20X0, RTX 30X0, RTX 40X0…)
- Nvidia Quadro RTXseries (Quadro RTX 8000, Quadro RTX 6000, Quadro RTX 5000…)
- Nvidia RTX Aseries (RTX A6000, RTX A5500, RTX 5000, RTX A4000 …)
- AMD Radeon RX 6000 series (RX 6900, RX 6900 XT, RX 6800…)
- AMD Radeon RX 7000 series (RX 7900 XT, RX 7900 XTX…)
- AMD Radeon PRO W6000 series (PRO W6800, PRO W6600…)
Note that Ray Tracing is an optional feature. It is still possible to use Lumion 2023 even if your graphics card does not support Ray Tracing. You just won't be able to make use of the Ray Tracing Effect but you can still render using the Rasterization rendering pipeline.
For use of the Rasterization rendering pipeline see:
- Knowledge Base: Which graphics card do you need for Lumion 2023?
5. If you need to buy a new computer or upgrade:
When making any purchase, we recommend you consult with an expert in building PCs so that everything is tailored to your specific needs.
To see our desktop computer suggestions.
- Blog Article: Lumion computer advice for faster 3D rendering
To see our laptop computer suggestions.
- Knowledge Base: Which laptop PCs do you recommend for Lumion 2023?
Looking for Lumion 12 information? If you would like to check the old minimum, recommended, and high-end system requirements for Lumion 12, they are available on the following page:
- Knowledge Base: What kind of computer does Lumion 12 need?
A summary of requirements is listed in the tables at our website: