1: Lumion and LiveSync use the name of the model:
You use the LiveSync plugin in your 3D modeling software (Revit, SketchUp, and others) to import a model directly and in real-time, live to Lumion.
Lumion along with LiveSync will check if the model you want to import using LiveSync already exists in the Project. Or, if there is one similar, given the model's file name or its location or both, can change. Lumion will compare the first 5 characters or the last 5 characters of the name to establish if it is eligible for a connection.
It will do this so that a direct update to the model in Lumion can be made.
If the model name is the same, then LiveSync will update the model. If it is different then you can follow the steps below to update the linkage.
These features apply to Lumion 2023.1.0 or newer. For older versions of Lumion please see this article:
2. The LiveSync Panel:
These features are common between LiveSync and Lumion for all 3D modeling software where the LiveSync plugin is supported.
2.1: LiveSync Panel
A Status Panel is now displayed when a model has been LiveSynced during a session.
2.2: Stopping the connection
- You have previously started the connection via the LiveSync toolbar in your 3D modeling software.
After doing so, the LiveSync toolbar will show it is no longer playing (active):
Note: it is not required that you close the connection in Lumion when closing Lumion or changing to a different Project.
This stop feature is to provide you with a direct way to manage the LiveSync transfer of model data when in Lumion.
2.3: Status of connection:
Seeing if the connection to the 3D modeling software is active and what model is connected.
That model name may be something different from the model selected and shown in the Object Properties panel.
2.4: Go to the model
Zooming to (focusing on) the model selected from the dropdown menu
2.5: Select a model for Synching
- Browsing/selecting the Imported Models suitable for syncing.
- A duplicate of the Imported Model from the currently selected drop-down list can now be created when using the Create new model option.
3. Starting LiveSync and establishing the live connection to Lumion:
3.1: If the model in the 3D modeling software has the same name as the Imported Model in the open Project then Lumion will connect and show the connected panel:
3.2: If the model in the 3D modeling software has a significant name or location change then start LiveSync as usual and in Lumion select the model to sync to. One easy step.
Here are some further details.
A message will be displayed when one or more models are detected in the Project as suitable for reconnecting:
For example, our model was previously imported by LiveSync:
But in SketchUp it has now been edited:
3.3: You click the Play button to connect this model to the one already in Lumion:
3.4: In Lumion the LiveSync panel shows a connection exists but is not yet active and waiting for you to select the model you want connected to and updated:
You have the option to select from any existing Imported Model that is in the matching name range (list).
3.5: You use the dropdown list to select the existing Imported Model in Lumion:
3.6: Click the OK button to apply the connection settings:
3.7: The connection is now live and the model has been updated:
This is the same as if you had used the Re-Import from a new file when using direct import.
3.8: This will result in the selected model being overwritten/updated with whatever the new model is. For example, in the above panel, the new model has a similar name but is located in a different folder. Ensure the version of the model you want to transfer from is the correct one.
4. If you have been used to using the earlier versions?
- If the model name is the same, then the model can now be located in a different folder, and Lumion should still see it as the current model to connect to.
- If the model name is different but in the same folder location as last time when using LiveSync then there are only the above simple steps to select the model to connect needed.
- If the model name is in a different folder location (same name or different name) then there are only the above steps within Lumion needed.
- The steps required to re-establish the connection as outlined in this article to re-export then reconnect and Re-Import from new file are no longer required.