1. Install the Lumion plug-in for SketchUp
1.1: Please follow the instructions below to download and install the plug-in for SketchUp 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020:
- Download Link: Download Lumion LiveSync for SketchUp
2. The best import method for your version of SketchUp and Lumion
|10.3+||2020||LiveSync function or import .SKP file|
|9.3 - 10.0.2||2020||LiveSync function or import .SKP file (File -> Save as -> SketchUp 2019 format)|
|9.3 - 10.3.2||2017-19||LiveSync function or import .SKP file|
|9.3 - 10.3.2||2014-16||Import .SKP file|
|8.3 - 9.0.2||2020||LiveSync function or import .SKP file (File -> Save as -> SketchUp 2018 format)|
|8.3 - 9.0.2||2019||LiveSync function or import .SKP file (File -> Save as -> SketchUp 2018 format)|
|8.3 - 9.0.2||2017-18||LiveSync function or import .SKP file|
|8.3 - 9.0.2||2014-16||Import .SKP file|
|8.0||2018-20||Import .SKP file (File -> Save as -> SketchUp 2017 format)|
|8.0||2014-17||Import .SKP file|
|7.0 - 7.5||2018-20||Import .SKP file (File -> Save as -> SketchUp 2017 format)|
|7.0 - 7.5||2014-17||Import .SKP file|
|6.0.1 - 6.5.1||2017-20||Import .SKP file (File -> Save as -> SketchUp 2016 format)|
|6.0.1 - 6.5.1||2014-16||Import .SKP file|
|5.3 - 5.7.2||2016-20||Import .SKP file (File -> Save as -> SketchUp 2015 format)|
|5.3 - 5.7.2||2014-15||Import .SKP file|
|1.0 - 5.0||All versions||Import .DAE file (File -> Save as -> .DAE format)|
3. Tips & Troubleshooting
3.1: How do you import edges from SketchUp?
- Version 9.0 and newer: Simply Import the model and click the On button for the Import edges option:
- Lumion 9.0 and older: You can import edges if you tick the Export Edges tickbox in the Collada (.DAE) export options in SketchUp.
- If you already have a SketchUp model in Lumion and you want to add edges to it, select all surfaces in the SketchUp scene and assign a material to it (call the material "MakeThisInvisibleInLumion"). Import this model as a separate .DAE file (with Export edges turned on) and assign an Invisible Material to the material so that only the edges show up. Then position the .DAE model at the same location as the .SKP model (click here to see how).
3.2: Why can't you see the model after importing and placing it in your Project?
- Check the scale of your model and make sure that it is placed near 0,0,0 in SketchUp before importing it in Lumion.
- If your model is close to the XYZ axes in SketchUp but still far away from the Object Icon in Lumion, you might have moved the coordinate system origin point. In SketchUp, please right-click on the blue axis and select Reset. Doing so will reveal the true position of the model in relation to the world coordinate system. Then move the model closer to the XYZ axes before re-importing the model in Lumion.
3.3: Why are some of the surfaces of your model flipped or invisible in Lumion?
- If you have problem with flipped or invisible faces in Lumion, try to explode your scene in SketchUp just before exporting it using CTRL + A -> Right-click -> Explode. Keep 'exploding' the selected models until the Explode option is grayed out.
3.4: Why can't you assign a Lumion material to individual surfaces?
- Lumion will always combine surfaces that use the same material in SketchUp. If you want to assign a Lumion material to a specific surface, you must assign a unique material to that surface in SketchUp before importing the model.
3.5: How do you reduce the detail level of SketchUp models?
3.6: Why is Lumion 8.0 (and older versions) suddenly very slow after importing a SketchUp model?
- Knowledge Base: Why is Lumion 8.0 (and older versions) suddenly very slow after importing a SketchUp model?
3.7: What do you do if your Lumion Materials go missing after re-importing a model?
3.8: How do you replace imported objects with Library objects?
3.9: Why are some materials automatically converted to water and glass in Lumion?
If your SketchUp material name begins with one of the words in the table below and is followed by a space, it will be converted to special glass or water materials in Lumion when using LiveSync (or .SKP file format when using Lumion 10 or newer) to export the model.
The automatic conversion only takes place when you start the LiveSync function (or when you import the .SKP file in Lumion 10 or newer).
3.10: How do you update a model in LiveSync when the file name or folder location of the SketchUp file has changed?